The Rainbow Fish Dog Sweater


I love the Rainbow Fish. Not only do I love his shiny, multicolored scales, I love the message of the story: sharing with others and being nice to everyone will make you feel good and will make people like you. Ah stories with morals always get me. If you haven't read The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister (Do you live under a rock?), Ernest Borgnine will read it to you. 


When my husband, Peter, showed me scalemail the first thing I thought of was The Rainbow Fish and how awesome it would be to make a rainbow fish sweater for my dog! It took me a couple tries to knit with scalemail but eventually I got the hang of it and my dog, Lady, got a new sweater just in time for the snow storm to hit Kansas City.






Eventually I want to knit my other dog, Brophy, a more manly armor dog sweater but first I need to get him used to wearing dog clothes. As of right now, anytime I put clothes on him he freezes and won't move. Now that I think of it, this could be used to my advantage when Brophy is being a crazy dog and running around late at night. I'm sure my down stairs apartment neighbor would appreciate the quiet. 

A work in progress

I used a #6 sized knitting needle and about three packs of the small mixed color scales to make the Rainbow Fish Sweater. The yarn on the top and collar of the sweater is Malabrigo Merino Worsted Yarn in Velvet Grapes and the bottom yarn is Classic Elite's Minnow Merino in Iris. The scales can be knitted with up to a #8 sized needle but I think it is easier to get a smaller needle through the holes on the scales.If you are interested in learning more or buying scalemail check out the Ring Lord. I didn't use a pattern to knit the sweater but I could write one if anyone is interested in making their own scalemail dog sweater!




0 comments :

Post a Comment